Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

I,m Scared to Feed My Kids

We were a little amused listening to a woman in the waiting room at the doctor's office. She was patiently explaining to her 4 year old that she would have to be very good and listen closely when they got to were they were going because it was only going to be Mommy watching "BOTH" kids. (What a sissy.)

Yep we went back to the doctor again. I feel like that office is my second home. We better get a Christmas card from them, with all the business we have been providing. The twins got some more shots and the doctor discussed their continuing reflux issues with us. Our biggest question was "Is this as good as it is going to get?" "Are we ever going to have zero symptoms of reflux?" The answer was a little vague. We should be able to make them relatively pain free, but there are still going to be symptoms. We were thinking that if we knew that this was as good as it gets, it would be easier to deal with, easier to accept.

The doctor consulted with the specialist and called us shortly after we got home. The medication he says, is already at the maximum dosage that he would be comfortable with, but maybe they have a milk allergy "Why don't you try soy based formula and thicken all of the bottles with rice?" Ok, we have tried soy before but decided to give it another go.

Upon reflection, given the results of our attempt to change their diet, we would have tried soy first, then the rice. It did not go well. The twins are difficult to feed at the best of times. The combination soy rice mix resulted in gagging and screaming and for the rest of the day they would scream at the mere sight of the bottle. I think we may have traumatized them.

From 4 p.m till 9 p.m. we had at least two kids crying at any one time. You would think that you could put up with almost anything for six hours, but that will dive you crazy. We were feeling a little desperate by nine. It is really a helpless feeling having your kids in pain and not being able to do anything about it. Kari spent hours and several bottles of soy formula trying to find a consistency that the girls would eat. It really did get to the point that I was terrified to try to feed them again for fear of making it worse.

After nine I think they just wore themselves out. We finally got some of the old formula down their necks and they passed out for a little while. It was a long day. And we were/are about as tired as I can remember being.

Madi only woke up once and went right back to sleep after a bottle and Jordan slept all night. So that was a blessing. I don't think I could have done an all-nighter. Today they seem happier, but have not eaten much. We plan to try one more bottle of soy this afternoon to see if that works.

The play gym project is still looming over my head. I got all the boxes moved to the back yard, but have not had the courage to open them yet. We have had two days of rain which has also hampered the construction effort.


Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home