Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

It is great having inquisitive children... Most times.

I was driving Rylee and Reagan to school this morning when the following conversation occurred:

"Dad?" Rylee asked, to get my attention.

"Yeah?" I replied.

"Cannon says that there are two kids in his class that have two moms." She said. Cannon is my nephew who is a year older than Rylee and, I think, enjoys telling the girls any and everything that he thinks might be controversial or shocking.

Not wanting to get in to a whole alternative lifestyles conversation I decided that I could for now explain it away with the remarriage/step-mother scenario. Now this has pitfalls in itself, but I was pretty sure most of the resulting questions from that would be softballs for me. "Well, Rylee, it could be that those kid's Dads have gotten remarried and so now those kids have a stepmother, but still only have one real mom." I said. She was quiet for a bit. "Their stepmother is the same as their mom, but she didn't give birth to them; they never lived in her tummy."

Changing gears a bit Rylee said "Mom says that Madi and Jo were supposed to be boys." I chuckled a bit.

"Well, when we decided to have more children we already had two girls, you and Reagan, and so we were kind of hoping for a boy. And we didn't know that we were going to have two more kids at one time. But God decided that they should be girls." I explained.

"Mr. Pete and Ms. Melissa had a little boy baby." Rylee said. Those are our neighbors across the street.

"Yes, they did." I responded.

"How did they know it was a boy?" she asked.

"They didn't know until he was born." I said.

"How did you know that Madi and Jo were girls?" she asked.

"What do you mean?" I asked, wondering where this was going.

"Did they have long hair?" she continued.

"No, all babies have short hair. They all sort of look alike." I said with a smile.

"Then how do you know if they are boys or girls?" She asked.

"Well, boys and girls have different parts..." I said. How am I going to get out of this one? I can see the train coming.

"What different parts?" she asked.

I decided awhile back that I will shoot my kids straight on all issues except Santa and the tooth fairy. And so I plunged in with both feet.

"Girls have a vajay-jay." I said. Hoping that would satisfy her.

"What do boys have?" she asked.

"Um...well...Boys have a penis." I said.

"I KNOW WHAT A PENIS LOOKS LIKE!" Reagan piped up. I don't really remember how many times the word penis was used in the ensuing conversation, but it was a lot. My head started to swim with images of my girls standing at the front of their classes giving a lecture on anatomy.

"What does a penis look like?" Rylee asked.

"A PENIS is like a line with a circle." Reagan said. I the rear-view mirror I could see her using her right index finger to draw shapes in the air in front of herself.
"Daddy has a PENIS." Reagan continued.

"OH, I KNOW WHAT A PENIS LOOKS LIKE!" Rylee exclaimed. Here there was a little more discussion between the two of them. I missed it because I was trying to figure a way to keep a lid on this.

"Um...You girls know that you are not supposed to talk about this with the kids in your class, right? It just isn't good manners. Just like we don't talk about poop, right?" I said.

"Okay, Dad, we won't." They said.

So I am waiting for a call from the school. It should be coming any time now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home